About Sunshine Laundry Centers
Tom Sr. and Gerre Rhodes, along with Dale & Mary Knisely, purchased four laundromats from a mutual friend in 1977. The partnership dissolved amicably in 1982, and the Rhodes family has expanded the laundries from the original four in 1977 to seven clean and modern locations in Vero Beach, Fort Pierce, Port St Lucie, and Okeechobee.
Tom and Gerre’s son Tom II joined the family business in 1996 while looking for a career change. After spending his childhood driving to the laundromats to collect quarters and repair the machines with his parents, Tom II saw the potential to modernize and grow the operation to solidify the company’s position in the market. Some of the upgrades he implemented include credit card acceptance, free WIFI, and air conditioning in most locations.
The mission of Sunshine Laundry Centers is to have clean, safe, pleasant laundromats that serve the basic laundering needs of the general public. To fulfill the company’s mission, they have invested in top-of-the-line equipment that is kept in top running condition. Tom and Gerre have worked hard to create a pleasant experience for their customers.
“Customers are always greeted by a friendly helpful attendant who is there to serve their needs,” said Tom Rhodes II.
Our Community Involvement
The Rhodes family has been a proud member of the Treasure Coast community dating back to 1954 when Tom Sr. moved to Vero Beach from Pittsburg and Gerre Rhodes from Lakeland.
“It's the support from our customers in the community that has allowed us to thrive over the many years that we have been in business. It's why we do our part to give to the community in any way that we can,” said Tom Rhodes II. The following are just a few ways that Sunshine Laundries supports the community:
- The company has established a Community Washer and Dryer program that generates an estimated $14,000 a year for local charities. 25% of the money put into these washers and dryers is donated to local charities, including the Salvation Army, United against Poverty, and Boys & Girls Clubs, among others.
- For the last three summers, the company has donated $2,500 to the St. Lucie County Recreation Department to help residents who cannot afford swimming lessons.
- Sunshine Laundries regularly holds free laundry events, such as Loads of Love, for those in need throughout the community.
- The Company donates discount cards that provide 50% off its services to various organizations, including Vero Beach Elementary, United Against Poverty, and St. Vincent de Paul.
- The company also provides free laundry vouchers to local charities, including The Source, CareNet, CareBag, United Against Poverty, and In the Image of Christ.
Sunshine Laundries plans to continue to expand and improve the operation and, more importantly, increase the community support it joyfully provides.